Kids Heading Back to College? 7 Tips to Keep Them Healthy
It’s that time of year when parents are sending their high school graduates on to college, some for the first time. You’ll now have even less control over what they eat and the activities they are involved in, so help them out be encouraging these healthy behaviors.
- -Walk to Class – Encourage your student to walk to class. Set them up in a dorm or housing that is convenient to campus, but not too convenient. Taking 5-15 minute walks throughout the day really adds up. Another good option is biking.
- -Intramural Sports – Get active, have fun, and make some new friends all at once.
- -Teach Proper Portion Sizes – With college campuses, comes the cafeteria and unlimited portion sizes. Model appropriate portion sizes at home now to display what is healthy. Meat servings should about the size of a deck of cards and limit fatty and sugary sauces & dips.
- -Healthy Snacks – Parents love to leave their students with goodies, so focus on leaving healthy snacks like fruit (fresh and dried),multi-grain crackers, nuts, granola bars, and pretzels.
- -Water Bottle – Make sure your student has a water bottle that they love. They will be more likely to carry it around and use it when they love it. Again, model drinking water at home instead of soda or other sugary beverages. You’ll both benefit!
- -Use the Salad Bar – Encourage them to load up on fibrous veggies for added food volume (and not to mention, awesome micronutrients and fiber). Unless they’re prepared heavily in fat sources, vegetables typically have lower calories.
- -Send them with Fruits & Vegetables in a Capsule – One sure way to make sure your favorite college student is filling their nutritional gaps is to send them with Juice Plus+ capsules or gummies. I’m sure the campus salad bar lacks the 30 different fruits and vegetables that they can easily get in the Juice Plus+ Fruit, Vegetable and Berry blends, even if they would eat all those items. And even better, when you order Juice Plus+ for yourself, your student can get it for just the cost of shipping! Learn more at https://fuelinghealthyfamilies.com/2018/07/back-to-school-with-juice-plus/.
Follow Rachel on Facebook: facebook.com/fuelinghealthyfamilies